1. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE?
My father had a coworker named NAME, so that’s where it came from. He wanted to name the baby when my mom was pregnant with me, and my mom agreed although she privately reserved veto power. He came home and suggested NAME one night, and my mom liked it. They decided to spell it differently when I was in first grade.
2. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED?
3 DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING?
Not at all. If it weren’t for block capital letters, I’d be unable to write at all.
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT?
Hard salami, but I don’t have it often.
5. DO YOU HAVE KIDS?
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON, WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU?
Probably not. I’m a little curmudgeonly if you haven’t noticed. Two people with this short a fuse in a room together is not a good idea.
7. DO YOU USE SARCASM A LOT?
Too much, but considerably less than I used to.
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS?
9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP?
No. Skydive yes, bungee jump no. If I’m jumping, it’s because I want to be down there. Hanging upside down from my ankles does not appeal.
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL?
Not a fan.
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF?
Don’t wear shoes that tie. Mostly clogs and loafers.
12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG?
Not even a little bit.
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM?
Probably Ben and Jerry’s Coffee Heath Bar Crunch. Or Chunky Monkey. Or White Russian. Something I associate with college, when that brand just came out.
14. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE?
Just overall appearance. Faces, mostly. I can latch onto faces for a long time. How someone walks or moves, too.
15. RED OR PINK?
16. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF?
My flawless ability to annoy and eventually even offend people I like.
17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST?
My dad. My kitties. My uncle.
18. WHAT IS THE TECHNIQUE THAT YOU NEED TO WORK ON THE MOST?
Trills, tremolos, and not rolling chords inadvertently. Probably not how the framers of these questions intended me to answer, but oh well. The correct answer is probably pedaling.
19. WHAT COLOR SHOES ARE YOU WEARING?
20. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE?
A Hershey’s kiss.
21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
22. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE?
Very, very dark burgundy.
23. FAVORITE SMELLS?
Fresh air, with a little ocean salt.
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE YOUR POLITICAL VIEWS TO YOU?
More important than I wish they were. Politics gives me intestinal ulcers.
25. MOUNTAIN HIDEAWAY OR BEACH HOUSE?
Beach house. Mountain hideaways take too long to drive to and ruin your transmission.
26. FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH?
Hockey, much to my eternal annoyance. It’s the other thing that gives me intestinal ulcers.
27. HAIR COLOR?
Extremely dark brown, going grey mostly at the temples, which amuses me.
28. EYE COLOR?
29. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS?
Used to. Dry eyes nixed that.
30. FAVORITE FOOD?
No idea. Probably a fistfight between kumquats, Stayman Winesap apples, and sushi.
31. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS?
Neither. Hate movies.
32. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED?
“The Enchanted Island,” which is an opera.
33. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING?
Red. Like, the red in a Crayola 8-pack.
34. SUMMER OR WINTER?
Summer, as long as it’s dry. If it’s humid, then even June 21 at the South Pole beats it by a mile.
35. FAVORITE DESSERT?
Can’t think of one I don’t like. Pecan pie, I suppose.
36. STRENGTH TRAINING OR CARDIO?
Please, this is me we’re talking about here. Walking.
37. COMPUTER OR TELEVISION?
Clearly computer, as I don’t own a TV. Passive cultural sludge pump.
38. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW?
Nothing at the moment. Soon to be a book about Audacity.
39. WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD?
A corporate logo.
40. FAVORITE SOUND?
My kitty lying on my pillow and purring on a Saturday morning.
41. FAVORITE GENRE OF MUSIC?
I’d say “classical” but that’s 800 years worth of stuff so I need to be more specific. Probably Baroque, late Romantic, and melodic rock. Force me to choose at gunpoint and I’ll say Baroque but my eyelid will twitch.
42. WHAT IS THE FARTHEST YOU HAVE BEEN FROM HOME?
43. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT?
Learning languages. I pick them up like most people pick up colds. Mathematics. Same thing, and I consider it an instantiation of the language learning. Probably it all boils down to intuiting grammatical structure.
44. WHERE WERE YOU BORN?
45. WHERE ARE YOU LIVING NOW?
46. WHAT COLOR IS YOUR HOUSE?
Don’t own one.
47. WHAT COLOR IS YOUR CAR?
48. DO YOU LIKE ANSWERING 48 QUESTIONS?
Enough to finish.