1) The individual finger-sustains are slightly easier now since I had a minor revelation that I needed to think of them as a succession of multi-finger configurations, and not just a single still 4th finger, and the others moving. So it’s not steady 4, with 2-3-2-3-5-1-5-1 but 4/2, 4/3, 4/2, 4/3, 4/5, 4/1, 4/5, 4/1. Don’t know how else to explain that, but there you have it.
2) The five-sharp thing continues to progress technically, even if I can’t figure out where it’s headed. This has been a harder one since, similar to that C#m thing I mothballed, I don’t know where it’s headed going into it. It’s so hard to write things when you don’t know where you’re headed. I do adore this piece, but I think I’m going to have to figure out an endpoint before I keep going, or else I won’t know when I get there. The only reason I escaped that requirement for the CM canon-y thing was because … well, I knew it was a canon-y thing. I knew it would just go around and around until I got tired of it, adding complexity and then peeling it away. Which happened. I had a map in mind, even if I didn’t have a coda in mind.
And the organ continues to be facilitative of improv, which is a lot of fun. It’s a nice way to unwind for a bit after I’ve focused on those sustaining exercises.